Alder Hey Children's Hospital
Anna Freud Centre
California Court of Appeal,
Fifth Appellate District
Foss Park Hospital
Gloucester Bus Station
Joseph R. Biden, Jr. Railroad Station
Lane Fox REMEO® Centre
Maggie’s Centre, The Christie Hospital
Manchester Cancer Research Centre
Medical Center of the Rockies
Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe Community Center
Mitford unit, Northgate Hospital
Nelson Health Centre
ProMedica Health and Wellness Center
Proton Beam Therapy Centre
Shorb Tower at Methodist University Hospital
Statue of Liberty - Historic Window Replacement Project
The Admiral at the Lake
The Grange University Hospital
The Shields Centre
University Hospital of North Staffordshire
University of Alaska Museum of the North
Vaugirard Post Office
The Admiral at the Lake
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For more than 150 years, The Admiral at the Lake, Chicago’s first and longest-serving not-for-profit senior living provider, has strived to provide exceptional continuing care and retirement living. The high-rise building features garden and rooftop terraces, restaurant-style dining and activities ranging from a library/resource center, arts studio and club room to a theater and fitness center with pool. Because the facility was being designed for senior living, entrances and other products needed to be easy to operate, including sliding doors with an oversized pull handle and adjustable steel wheels for the operating panel and screen. The Admiral at the Lake was an upgrade to retirement living with sleek and streamlined appearances while being able to accommodate elderly residents, their continued care, and operational needs.
TR-700 Window Wall
TR-710 – 4-5/8" Offset Casement Thermal Aluminum Windows (Outswing)
TR-750 – 4-5/8" Offset Projected Thermal Aluminum Windows (Project Out)
TR-780 - Offset 4-5/8" Fixed Thermal Aluminum Window
TR-8300 - Thermal Aluminum Heavy Commercial Sliding Glass Door
NX-8910 3-1/4" Outswing Thermal Aluminum Architectural Terrace Doors
Trifab® VersaGlaze® (VG) 451T Storefront Framing System
Trifab® VersaGlaze® (VG) 450 Storefront Framing System
350 Medium Stile Entrances
BUILDING “VIBRANT RETIREMENT LIVING”
For more than 150 years, The Admiral at the Lake, Chicago’s first and longest-serving not-for-profit senior living provider, has strived to provide exceptional continuing care and retirement living. To carry on its “proud tradition of quality service to older adults who are drawn to the idea of vibrant retirement living,” the new Admiral at the Lake, an affiliate of Kendal®, opened in Chicago’s admired Edgewater neighborhood.
Chicago-based Softer Lite Window Company served as the project’s window installer. Lend Lease in Birmingham, Michigan was the general contractor for the project and Elk Grove, Illinois-based Alumital Corp., a subcontractor to Softer Lite, was the glazing contractor.
Curbed Chicago, a popular real estate blog noted that The Admiral at the Lake, designed by Perkins + Will in Dallas, is “reminiscent of a series of fountains that gradually build upward culminating in a tall central column.” The building itself is a post-tensioned concrete structure with a mixture of punched openings, stonework and painted concrete. The high-rise, built to replace the old building that was demolished in 2007, also features garden and rooftop terraces, restaurant-style dining and activities ranging from a library/resource center, arts studio and club room to a theater and fitness center with pool.
- Lend Lease required that on some openings the receptors and subsills be provided with a nail flange for the installation.
- Because the building is post-tensioned, coordinating the fastener locations was complicated as the building team needed to ensure that none of the cables were penetrated.
- The building design called for several unique elements that would help it stand out yet deliver a sleek and streamlined appearance to help it fit into the footprint of the city and neighborhood.
- The site location, which was in a very populated neighborhood, did not afford the construction and installation team much space to work.
- Because the facility was being designed for senior living, entrances and other products needed to be easy to operate
- Lend Lease’s requirement for sub-sills with nail flanges was accommodated by creating custom shapes designed specifically for the project.
- To ensure that none of the cables were penetrated, Kawneer product experts were very involved throughout the process, attending many pre-construction meetings to address any issues that arose with fastener locations.
- Use of window wall with a slab-to-slab application and slab edge cover featuring 90-degree custom corners with narrow sightlines added a unique element to The Admiral at the Lake and helped provide the desired appearance. A variety of window sizes and types were incorporated throughout.
- The TR-8300 – Thermal Aluminum Heavy Commercial Sliding Glass Door and NX-8900 – 3-1/4" Thermal Aluminum Architectural Terrace Door were utilized in numerous locations throughout the building. The TR-8300 offers several options for ease of operation – essential for The Admiral at the Lake – including an oversized pull handle and adjustable steel wheels for the operating panel and screen.
- Additional solutions including Kawneer’s Trifab® VG (VersaGlaze®) 451T framing system provided enhanced thermal performance and a range of design options that fit the project’s requirements, while the Trifab® VG (VersaGlaze®) 450 framing system was used in the garage areas. And to withstand heavy traffic flow, Kawneer’s 350 Medium Stile Entrances were used on the first floor of the building.
ARCHITECT: Perkins + Will, Dallas, Texas
WINDOW INSTALLER: Softer Lite Window Company, Chicago, Illinois
GLAZING CONTRACTOR: Alumital Corp., Elk Grove, Illinois
GENERAL CONTRACTOR: Lend Lease, Birmingham, Michigan
Photography: ©Viken Djaferian/FotoGrafix
The Admiral at the Lake