Alder Hey Children's Hospital
Anna Freud Centre
California Court of Appeal,
Fifth Appellate District
Gloucester Bus Station
Joseph R. Biden, Jr. Railroad Station
Lane Fox REMEO® Centre
Maggie’s Centre, The Christie Hospital
Manchester Cancer Research Centre
Medical Center of the Rockies
Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe Community Center
Mitford unit, Northgate Hospital
Nelson Health Centre
ProMedica Health and Wellness Center
Proton Beam Therapy Centre
Shorb Tower at Methodist University Hospital
Statue of Liberty - Historic Window Replacement Project
The Admiral at the Lake
The Grange University Hospital
The Shields Centre
University Hospital of North Staffordshire
University of Alaska Museum of the North
Vaugirard Post Office
ProMedica Health and Wellness Center
Sylvania, Ohio, USA
ProMedica set out to build their new Health and Wellness Center with the objective of providing a place for the community to get most services in one location. Designed by HKS, the 230,000-square-foot, three-story building is situated outside Toledo, Ohio and houses physician offices, diagnostic testing, wellness education, retail, and dining.
Through strong collaboration and long-time relationships, Toledo Mirror & Glass, HKS, and Kawneer were able to help bring this impactful project to life and help Promedica increase physicians' time with patients by decreasing how much time they had to spend moving from space to space. Kawneer’s curtain walls were integral to the façades used in the courtyards and atrium that connect staff and visitors with the outdoors throughout the year, while customized sunshades painted with a terracotta finish provided a unique look to the LEED Certified® building.
1600UT System™1 Curtain Wall
1600UT System™2 Curtain Wall
190 Narrow Stile Entrances
350 Medium Stile Standard Entrance
Versoleil® Sunshade (custom outrigger and blades)
Trifab® 450 Door Headers
MULTIFUNCTIONAL HARBOR FOR HEALTH AND WELLNESS
With the objective of providing a place for the community to get most health and wellness services in one location, ProMedica set out to build the ProMedica Health and Wellness Center. The 230,000-square-foot, three-story building is situated outside Toledo, Ohio and houses physician offices, diagnostic testing, wellness education, retail, and dining.
Designed by HKS, the Center features two courtyards and a glass atrium to connect staff and visitors with the outdoors throughout the year. The building also features 23 interconnected, standard clinic modules, which enable staff to reach patients more quickly and increase connectivity. HKS’s website notes, “Architectural and interior form, material, pattern, light, and color resonate with the contextual and cultural influences of the region.” HKS, Kawneer and Toledo Mirror & Glass worked together to deliver solutions that would allow an abundance of natural light to enter the building while offering a beautiful aesthetic and enhanced thermal performance. Custom sunshades and horizontal tubes, or baguettes, featured on the building’s façade add a unique element and texture to the building.
- Build a high-performing façade that contributed to occupant comfort, allowing for increased natural light and views of the outdoors.
- Two courtyards and a center core glass atrium featured large, heavy lites of glass.
- Tight, narrow courtyards created challenges with offloading product and installation.
- Kawneer’s curtain wall systems with their a sleek, modern aesthetic were selected to increase natural daylight and enhance thermal performance.
- 1600UT System™2 Curtain Wall was structural silicone glazed vertically and captured horizontally to provide a contemporary, high-tech look.
- Curtain wall with custom 3" horizontals were used to handle the weight of the large lites of glass.
- Paths to the courtyards were created to allow for lifts to help installation. The courtyard curtain wall was installed from the inside out.
- Custom engineered outriggers and vertical support plates modified from Kawneer’s Versoleil® SunShade were applied to the façade. Then baguettes with a terracotta-like painted finish were installed to help with sun shading and address design objectives.
The ProMedica Health and Wellness Center is LEED® Certified and has the ability to increase physicians’ time with patients. According to HKS’s website, “Average overall clinical team walking distance was reduced by 36 percent, or one minute and 55 seconds per patient encounter. That’s a difference ranging from 28 minutes to more than an hour for each team during an average clinical day.”¹
ARCHITECT: HKS, Chicago, Illinois
GENERAL CONTRACTOR: Turner Construction, Toledo, Ohio
CONTRACT GLAZIER/INSTALLER: Toledo Mirror & Glass, Toledo, Ohio
Photography: © Perzel Photography Group
|¹ProMedica Health and Wellness | HKS Architects, www.hksinc.com/what-we-do/case-studies/promedicahealth-and-wellness.|