Geisinger Professional Building
Porsche Cars North America Experience Center and Headquarters
Nu Skin Innovation Center
North American Headquarters
Maryland Live Casino
Empire State Building
Corporate Office Tower
Wells Fargo Center
Historic Window Replacement Project
Elysian Hotel and Private Residences
700 Sixth Street NW
PCL Centennial Learning Centre
Heifer International World Headquarters
Brookhaven National Laboratory, Center for Functional Nanomaterials
Hampton Roads Convention Center
American Axle and Manufacturing
Atlantis Casino & Resort
Ihilani Resort & Spa, Hokule'a Bar
Spring, Texas, USA
Approximately 20 miles north of downtown Houston lies the forward-thinking, master-planned Springwoods Village community. Nestled in the heart of the village is CityPlace, which is designed to be a mixed-use community that unifies work, life, sustainability and technology. CityPlace 2, a 10-story 327,000-square-foot office building, also includes ground-floor retail and is a standout in this unique area.
Kawneer and Houston-based Dynamic Glass worked with architects from Gensler's Houston office to deliver solutions that provided a sleek aesthetic, while contributing to the performance and sustainability of the building. CityPlace 2 is registered with the certification goal of LEED Silver®, has achieved its design and performance goals, and is a focal point for the community.
2500 UT Unitwall™ System (with 8-inch extended face covers)
1600 Wall System™5 Curtain Wall (pre-glaze)
1600 SS Curtain Wall System
Registered with the certification goal of LEED Silver®
THE HEART OF A VILLAGE
Approximately 20 miles north of downtown Houston lies Springwood Village, a forward-thinking, master-planned community of homes, offices, retail, restaurants and hotels. Nestled in the heart of the village is CityPlace, which is designed to be a mixed-use community that unifies work, life, sustainability and technology. CityPlace 2, a 327,000-squarefoot office that is home to Houston-based American Bureau of Shipping among others, is an energy-efficient, modern building that includes ground-floor retail.
According to CityPlace developers, the Patrinely Group, “Central to the concept of CityPlace 2 is the creation of a healthy and inspiring business setting that fosters productivity and nurtures the live-work lifestyle desired by today’s brightest talent.” The sleek 10-story building was designed by Gensler Houston to have a modern, monolithic look that delivered a comfortable business environment. Kawneer and Houston-based Dynamic Glass worked with architects from Gensler’s Houston office to deliver high-performing glazed solutions that provided a sleek aesthetic, enhanced natural daylighting and offered spectacular views to the outside. Additionally, 8" face covers were placed on the façade to add texture and a visual feature that would allow the building to stand out.
- Architects wanted a high-performing façade that contributed to occupant comfort, helped reduce operating costs and increased energy efficiency.
- A tight project schedule required products that could be assembled and installed quickly and efficiently.
- Though the building looks standard from afar, there are some areas where no two panels were the same, which delivered a challenge before fabrication.
- Unitized curtain wall systems have numerous parts and pieces, which makes determining the cutting and fabrication of all units critical.
- Kawneer’s curtain wall systems were selected for the building to provide superior thermal performance, deliver an elegant aesthetic and increase natural daylight.
- The 2500 UT Unitwall™ System and 1600 Wall System™5 Curtain Wall allowed Dynamic Glass to build and glaze the units in their shop.
+ Once in the field, the units were stacked quickly and easily, which helped maintain tight project schedules.
- Brainstorming, planning, and collaboration allowed the build team to create accurate fabrication sheets for each panel and individual floor plans with unit numbers or tags, and relay information to all involved, a critical step in minimizing errors during installation.
- Kawneer provides an abundance of online information and additional resources, which allowed the project to run smoothly, stay on schedule and overcome any obstacles.
- Communication and strong dynamics between all involved in the project enabled it to come together seamlessly.
CityPlace 2 is registered with the certification goal of LEED Silver®. Through the use of a range of high-performing products, the developers and design team were able to achieve their aesthetic, performance and sustainability goals. CityPlace 2 serves as a dynamic focal point for the community. Also take a look at the related CityPlace 1 sister project.
ARCHITECT: Gensler, Houston, Texas
DEVELOPER: Patrinely Group, Houston, Texas
GENERAL CONTRACTOR: David E. Harvey Builders, Inc. , Westchase, Texas
CONTRACT GLAZIER/INSTALLER: Dynamic Glass, Houston, Texas
Photography: ©ShauLin Hon / Slyworks Photography and ©Bill Gnech/The Apple Group
CityPlace 2 [1.54MB]