Alexan on 8th
20 Fulton Street East
Chelsea Green Condominiums
Armed Forces Retirement Home (AFRH)
The Admiral at the Lake
Flats on Vine
Historic Window Replacement Project
Elysian Hotel and Private Residences
Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
The Pearl, an ultramodern multifamily community comprised of three buildings, creates a space for occupants to retreat from daily life while experiencing the convenience of urban amenities. The buildings feature views of Rock Creek Park, an open courtyard, and a rooftop farm designed to provide occupants with fresh produce. A wide range of modern amenities allow building residents to work, live and play without having to leave the property.
Through an assortment of expansive windows, terrace doors and curtain wall systems, the building is designed to be light and airy, featuring views of surrounding greenery and voluminous natural lighting. The complex is LEED Gold® and creates energy efficiency and durability through thermal windows with structural mullions. Altogether, The Pearl provides residents a collective environment that draws upon light, luxury, and a connection to the natural world.
NX-8900 Terrace Doors
1600 Wall System®1 Curtain Wall
1600 Wall System®2 Curtain Wall
Trifab® VersaGlaze® 451T Framing System (front set)
Trifab® VersaGlaze® 450 Framing System (center set)
350 Heavy Wall™ Entrances
LEED Gold® (LEED 2009 New Construction)
LEED Platinum® (LEED v4.1 Recertification)
LIGHT AND LUMINOUS LUXURY
The Pearl, a modern apartment community located in Silver Spring, Maryland, actively balances the need for occupants to have a retreat from daily life with the convenience of urban amenities. Comprised of three buildings, each featuring studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments, the multifamily community provides a collective environment that draws upon nature, light and luxury.
Designed by Baltimore-based Design Collective to be light and airy, the buildings feature views of Rock Creek Park, an open courtyard, and a rooftop farm designed to provide occupants with fresh produce. The Pearl has multiple amenities including a co-working office, exhibition kitchen, event rental space, two-story fitness center, saltwater pool, pet grooming room and more. This cornerstone of The Blairs community allows residents to work, live and play without having to leave the property.
A range of expansive windows, terrace doors and curtain wall systems enhance natural light throughout the buildings, enabling residents to connect with nature.
The primary phase of the project has received LEED Gold® certification. In 2020 the project was recertified under LEED 4.1 and received LEED Platinum® certification.
- Join amenities and an urban environment with nature.
- Provide high thermal and structural performance for large floor-to-floor window spans.
- The façade comprises several different materials with varying wall section and trim depths, making installation complicated.
- A range of high-performing windows, terrace doors, entrances, curtain wall and framing systems were used to create voluminous natural lighting, ventilation and offer ample views of Rock Creek Park and surrounding green spaces.
- A butted installation of high-performing architectural-grade NX-3800 Thermal Windows with structural mullions created a sturdy and reliable window wall appearance.
- Custom receptors were used to bridge the larger wall sections, position thermal breaks, allow for proper structural support within the stud cavity and address the challenge of connecting the windows to the various trim depths and cladding materials on the building’s façade.
The ultramodern complex not only offers residents an array of amenities, but also provides them with natural light, comfortable interiors and a connection with the natural world.
ARCHITECT: Design Collective, Baltimore, Maryland
CONTRACTOR/INSTALLER: Engineered Construction Products LTD, Frederick, Maryland
GENERAL CONTRACTOR: Clark Construction, Bethesda, Maryland
DEVELOPER: Tower Companies, Rockville, Maryland
Photography: © Perzel Photography Group
The Pearl [725 KB]