AA®720 Parallel Opening Window
The AA®720 Parallel Opening Window offers increased air flow around the full perimeter of the window, facilitating highly efficient natural ventilation while greatly reducing draughts.
Related Case Studies:
Click here for further information on the AA®720 Outward Opening Window Systems
The AA®720 Parallel Opening Window is available as a stand alone window system and as an insert into existing Kawneer curtain walling and framing systems allowing complete design freedom.
Based on the established Kawneer AA®720 window system, the parallel opening design benefits from the proven thermal performance of the standard AA®720 casement, achieving U-values of 1.2 W/m2K for a CEN sized window, triple glazed with warm edge spacer, while offering exceptional levels of natural ventilation and air exchange.
Increased air flow around the full perimeter of the window facilitates highly efficient natural ventilation while greatly reducing draughts. Fresh air is drawn in via the bottom of the window while warm, stale air is expelled via the top of the window creating full circulation of air within the room.
This efficient exchange of air can assist with Approved Document F compliance and can enable the AA®720 Parallel Opening Window to meet the ventilation requirements of even the most demanding project.
Product Features and Benefits
- Effective ventilation around the whole perimeter of the window - can achieve approximately twice the natural ventilation of an equivalent sized top hung window*
- Increased air circulation and natural ventilation - draughts are reduced while fresh air ventilation exchange is maximised*
- 80mm clear opening restriction as standard - safety for all users and occupants
- Proven thermal performance of standard AA®720 - U-value of 1.2 W/m2K for CEN sized window, triple glazed with warm edge spacer
- Suites with Kawneer Curtain Wall and Framing products - total design flexibility, offering total project solutions
- Parallel operation of window - maintains the same reflective aesthetic as the facade
- Maximum vent size of 1500mm wide x 2400mm high for manual operation (larger sizes may be possible using automatic operators) - large vents allow maximum glass area and can reduce the quantity of vents required
- Maximum weight 200kg
* A case study carried out by Arup based on a typical classroom reported free air flow of 560 litres/sec for parallel opening windows compared to 290 litres/sec for top hung windows of an equivalent size.
Similarly, air changes within the classroom were reported as 10.9 per hour for the parallel window design compared to 5.7 for the equivalent sized top hung windows.
Roberts K. CFD Comparative Analysis of Parallel & Top Hung Windows, 2009.
The AA®720 Parallel Opening Window operating forces have been independently tested with vent sizes up to a maximum of 1500mm wide x 2400mm high falling within the 100N operating force requirement for manual operation**. The AA®720 Parallel Opening Window can also be used with automatic operators for operating forces greater than 100N or in places of restricted access.
** Size and weight dependant.
Windows are restricted to 80mm clear opening as standard giving the confidence of safe operation for all users while further enhancing the security of the window.
The AA®720 Parallel Opening Window has been independently tested to PAS 24:2016.
*** Does not refer to standard hardware, security hardware required.
For advice and support and to ensure you find the best solution for your individual project needs, please contact our Architectural Services Team.